Francisco Reynés Massanet. Chairman and CEO of Naturgy
Francisco Reynés holds a degree in Industrial Engineering from the University of Barcelona, specializing in mechanical engineering. He has also completed senior management programs in the USA and Germany and holds an MBA from IESE Business School.
In 2002, Francisco Reynés joined the multinational Unilever as CEO, which he piloted during its internationalization process until it was acquired by FCC in September 2006.
From Unilever he moved to Naturgy, as General Manager of Resources. However, he was only with the company for a short time, as Ricardo Fornesa, then chairman of La Caixa, chose him as general manager of Criteria, the investment holding company of “la Caixa” Banking Foundation, to lead the IPO process, which culminated in 2008.
In 2009, he moved from Criteria to Abertis, as CEO and right-hand man of the chairman, Salvador Alemany. Since then, Francisco Reynés has been in charge of Abertis.
In 2015, Abertis agreed to abolish the four Vice-Chairmanships held by Villar Mir, Isidro Fainé, Carmen Godia and a representative of CVC, constituting a single Executive Vice-Chairmanship assumed by Francisco Reynés.
Until February 2018, Francisco Reynés was Vice-Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Abertis, a world leader in international infrastructure management and telecommunications.
In February 2018, the Board of Directors of Naturgy (formerly Gas Natural Fenosa), appoints Francisco Reynés Massanet as the new Executive Chairman of the company, replacing Isidro Fainé.
In June 2018, Francisco Reynés, presented to the market, his Strategic Plan for the period 2018-2022 in which Naturgy, shows a solid positioning in the new environment of the global energy transition. Later, in July 2021, the new Strategic Plan for the period 2021-2025 was presented
Since his arrival at the energy company, Francisco Reynés Massanet has set a clear roadmap in the process of change and modernization of Naturgy.
Reynés has sought a new economic and organizational direction, more agile and in line with the international environment that Naturgy wants and can lead, an environment in which the elements of transformation, such as digitalization and innovation require an effective and direct response. All this, without losing sight of the company’s growth at national and international level.
Awards and recognitions to Francisco Reynés
- In 2016, he received the 2016 Tiepolo Prize, awarded jointly by the Italian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCIS) and the Spanish Confederation of Business Organizations (CEOE).
- In February 2018, the Prensa Ibérica publishing group recognizes Reynés with the Institutional Motoring Award.
- In March 2018, he receives the 2017 Influentials Award from El Confidencial and Herbert Smith Freehills for Executive of the Year.
- In December 2018, he received the Medal of Honor for Entrepreneur of the Year from Foment del Treball.
- In April 2019, receives the Salmón de Expansión award for the best stock of the year on the stock market for Naturgy.
- In July 2021, he receives the ‘Best CEO 2020’ award from Forbes Spain.
- In December 2021, he received the ‘CEO of the Year’ award at the Platts Global Energy Awards.
- In November 2022, receives the ‘Dirigente del año 2022’ award from Merca2.
- In June 2023, he receives the Career Achievement Award from La Razón.